In light of his mysterious car crash and affair allegations, Tiger Woods has canceled a news conference Tuesday for the Tiger Woods Foundation and has dropped out of the Chevron World Challenge, his last scheduled competition of the year.
"The press conference with Tiger Woods previously scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 1 at 1:45 p.m. has been cancelled," Rachel Rees, public relations manager for The Tiger Woods Foundation, tells Usmagazine.com. "We will provide you with any other press conference updates regarding the Chevron World Challenge field as they become available."
As for dropping out of the Chevron World Challenge, taking place this week in Thousand Oaks, Calif., Woods said on his website: "I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week. I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry I can't be there."
The site said he can't play "due to injuries sustained in a one-car accident."
Woods, 33, has been keeping a low profile since his car accident early Friday morning.
He has nixed three meetings with authorities.
The famed golfer may not be talking because "there is possibly something unpleasant and embarrassing that he doesn't want to share with them, and he has that right," says CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin. "Based on what is publicly known, Woods has a public relations problem much more than a legal problem. He's arguably the most famous athlete in the world, and his team's overall strategy is a gamble that his general statement of responsibility won't be overtaken by events or other disclosures."
Woods also has yet to directly address reports that he had an affair with New York nightclub manager Rachel Uchitel.
She has denied an affair and hired celeb lawyer Gloria Allred. "The woman may go public to repeat ... what she's said to the AP and publicly deny the affair, or perhaps to say that she was libeled by the Enquirer," says Toobin. "Gloria Allred's clients tend not to disappear from the news media."