As soon as Shiri Appleby and her fiance, chef and restaurateur Jon Shook, met, a tradition sprouted. “We’ve made this dish every Thanksgiving since we’ve been together,” Appleby told Us Weekly of the pair’s Brussels sprouts with shallots and garlic recipe. “I like to have many options of greens on the table for my family.” Find out how to make the delicious side dish below!
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp kosher salt
2 lb Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
6 oz sliced bacon, halved crosswise
2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 cups heavy cream
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Fill a Dutch oven with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbsp kosher salt and Brussels sprouts. Cook on high until tender, but not mushy, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Drain sprouts and place under cold running water. Drain again. On a cutting board, halve sprouts lengthwise. Set aside.
3. Wipe pot dry and place it back on the stove top over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until both sides are browned and crispy. Drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool. Crumble bacon.
4. Pour off all but 1 tbsp bacon fat. Add shallots and garlic to pot. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
5. Add cream. Simmer until cream has reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes. Add remaining 1 tsp kosher salt and the black pepper. Stir in sprouts and gently coat in the sauce. Transfer sprouts to a serving bowl and top with crumbled bacon.
Looking for another recipe from the couple? Watch the video below to see how they make sloppy joes — one of their favorite family meals — exclusively for Us Weekly.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics, and more delivered straight to your inbox!