Ariana Grande: 5 Things You Don't Know About the VMAs Performer
Ariana Grande can rest easy now. The up-and-coming songstress performed with ease at the 2013 Video Music Awards for the very first time to a cheering crowd at the red carpet pre-show outside Brooklyn's Barclays Center on Sunday, Aug, 25. The Nickelodeon star turned pop sensation belted out "Baby I" in a cappella and was later joined by dancers as she transitioned into "The Way."
"Maybe I can stop shaking now.That was so much fun but omg my in-ears went out I couldn't hear anything! Thank u for the love hope u enjoyed!" the singer joked via Twitter after the set.
After watching the singer's impressive vocals prior to the big show, Us Weekly whipped up a refresher for those unfamiliar with the rising, adorable young star.
1. Grande caught her first big break when she nabbed the role of Cat Valentine in Nickelodeon's Victorious in 2010. She moved for the opportunity from hew native Boca Baton, Fla. to Los Angeles and worked on the show alongside Victoria Justice and Elizabeth Gillies from 2010-2013. She can be seen playing the same character in iCarly and her current series, Sam & Cat.
2. She's only 20 years old, but has the singing chops of an artist twice her age — and music fans are listening. In March, she released "My Way," a collaboration with rapper Mac Miller, that's sold over 1 million copies so far and has over 82 million hits on YouTube. Most can't deny her uncanny similarity to Mariah Carey.
3. As exclusively reported by Us, she's smitten with The Wanted's Nathan Sykes! "It's very, very new," a source told Us last week about their new relationship. "Nate sends her flowers everyday." She gushed about her new flame to MTV News in mid-August when talking about their upcoming "Almost Never Enough" collaboration. "Nathan just sang the hell out of it. I thought it was Brian McKnight. I'm like, 'Who is this?' Honestly, I wasn't expecting it. I didn't know he had that in him," she said. "I saw him perform live on one of the radio shows that we were at together, and I was like, 'Damn, he can sing.'" Previously, Grande was linked to YouTube star Jal Brooks of the Janoskians.
4. Grande is not a fan of drama! The songstress angered Justin Bieber fans when she posted a picture of the "As Long As You Love Me" star kissing her cheek via Twitter on Aug. 8. After receiving hate tweets, she replied, "Everyone, girls are allowed to be friends with guys. I'm a lady. Chill out." She later explained during an interview with MTV that going public with the photo was all Bieber's idea. "I went to meet and greet with my grandparents, because my nonna has a massive crush on Justin Bieber," she said. "I took my phone and I went like this [gestures selfie] and I was just smiling, and he kissed me on the cheek. I didn't know what to do. I just walked out of the room. I got shy."
5. This is just the beginning! Grande will be releasing her debut studio album, Yours Truly, on Sept. 3. The new album features 13 tracks, including her collaborations with Sykes and Miller. She also does a duet with Big Sean for her song "Right There."