Better days ahead. Billy Bush is having a tough time coming to terms with the fallout from the Donald Trump tape scandal as well as his Monday, October 17, exit from NBC’s Today show, a source exclusively tells Us Weekly.
“He is really sad about everything,” the insider tells Us of the host’s emotional state. “He had just moved back to New York City and now his family is going through this.”
As previously reported, Bush, 45, was let go from the Today show — which he joined just this summer — for his involvement in a leaked 2005 Access Hollywood video in which he and Trump, 70, engaged in misogynistic banter. In the controversial clip, the AH alum laughs along as the now-Republican presidential candidate brags about grabbing women “by the p--sy” without permission.
"Obviously I'm embarrassed and ashamed," he said that day. "It's no excuse, but this happened 11 years ago — I was younger, less mature and acted foolishly in playing along. I'm very sorry."
Despite the drama, the source tells Us that the TV anchor — who shares three daughters with wife Sydney Davis — is hopeful about his future.
“Billy is a fighter, though, and this isn't the last of his career. He is going to take some time to really think and recover,” the insider explains. “He is such a good family man. He is on OK terms with the network but does wish he could have apologized on air.”
Bush’s NBC colleague Matt Lauer addressed the departure on the Today show’s October 18 episode.
"NBC News announced last night that Billy Bush would be leaving the Today show effective immediately, noting that he was a valued colleague and a longtime member of the broader NBC family," Lauer, 58, said. "A statement Billy released separately last night read in part, ‘I look forward to what lies ahead,’ and of course, all of us here at Today wish Billy the very best."
Want stories like these delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter!