Brad Pitt is taking the child abuse allegations against him “very seriously,” a source tells Us Weekly, adding that the Allied actor is just trying to make the split as easy as possible for his six children with estranged wife Angelina Jolie.
“He has cooperated [with the investigation],” the source says. “He certainly wants what’s best for his kids and for them to be in the best environment, and he’ll do anything that will put them in the best position.”
“Angelina is a good mother,” the insider adds. “Brad appreciates and respects her and knows she’s a good mother. He knows that it’s important to do what’s right for the kids, whatever that is going to be. … These reports about abuse on the plane are exaggerated or fabricated.”
As Us Weekly previously reported, Pitt, 52, is planning to fight for custody of the couple’s kids — Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 8.
“[The split] does come down to differences in lifestyle and parenting. Brad and Angelina had arguments which, over time, became progressively more frequent,” the source says. “And it was something where it did appear that this had run its course, but Brad was still hoping to work it out, and ultimately that didn’t happen.”
“She will argue the children are better off with her, and a judge will make a decision after listening to the kids,” divorce attorney Alexander Orlofsky told Us. (Orlofsky is not working with either Hollywood A-lister.) “It’s highly unusual to get this granted unless there is some major reason.”
Reports surfaced on Wednesday, September 21, that Pitt was being investigated for child abuse after he allegedly became "verbally abusive and physical" while on a private jet with his family.
When reached for comment, the L.A. County Department of Children and Family Services said it is unable to comment on whether or not the department is investigating Pitt for alleged child abuse.
“We’re prohibited by law from disclosing case-specific information or even identifying any involvement with any client,” DCFS Public Information Officer Neil Zanville told Us Weekly.
The FBI told Us in a statement on Thursday that the agency is "continuing to gather facts and will evaluate whether an investigation at the federal level will be pursued."
Can't get enough of Us? Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter packed with the latest celeb news, hot pics and more!