After reports circulated that former Miss California Carrie Prejean had a sex tape, the dethroned beauty queen confirmed the erotic video, which she called "the biggest mistake of my life."
“It was me by myself. There was no one else with me. I was not having sex,” Prejean, 22, told the Today Show on Tuesday, one day after admitting the existence of the tape on Fox News.
(The X-rated video surfaced during a negotiating session with Miss California pageant officials over a lawsuit Prejean filed against the organization for stripping her of her crown earlier this year. When the tape’s existence was revealed, Prejean settled her suit.)
Prejean said she made the video of herself when she was 17 years old and that it was for her long-distance boyfriend at the time.
"I was a teenager," she said. "I cared about him. I trusted him. I think now they call it ‘sexting.’"
She added: "Did I think it would come back now and haunt me? No. But I think that a lot of young people can learn from this. Nothing is private anymore. Nothing is private."
Although she admitted it was a bad decision, she says that there is currently "a campaign against me trying to silence me."
Prejean -- who went on Today to promote her new book, Still Standing: The Untold Story of My Fight Against Gossip, Hate and Political Attacks -- said she has been under attack since the Miss USA pageant last April, where she said that she believed marriage should be between a man and a woman.
"They tried to embarrass me," she said of critics. "They tried to humiliate me. They tried to attack me. And I’m still standing."
Despite her Christian values -- she has written that women should earn respect "not for showing skin to look sexy" --and conservative political views, she discounts accusations that she is a hypocrite for taking racy photos, which emerged recently.
"I’m a model. I was in a beauty pageant. If people want to call me a hypocrite, that’s their prerogative," she said. "But I’ve learned from my mistakes. No one is perfect."