Apple has denied that there was a breach in its iCloud services following the recent leak of nude photos of celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton Credit: George Pimentel/FilmMagic; Gregg DeGuire/WireImage

Apple has released an official statement about the leaked nude photos of stars including Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton, which were apparently taken from the celebs' personal accounts. The company claims that the attack was a targeted one, and that there has not been a "breach" of either iCloud or Find My iPhone.

"When we learned of the theft, we were outraged and immediately mobilized Apple's engineers to discover the source," the tech giant said in the Sept. 2 statement. "Our customers' privacy and security are of utmost importance to us."

The statement goes on to note that engineers have spent more than 40 hours investigating the leak. "We have discovered that certain celebrity accounts were compromised by a very targeted attack on user names, passwords, and security questions, a practice that has become all too common on the Internet," the company said. "None of the cases we have investigated has resulted from any breach in any of Apple's systems including iCloud or Find my iPhone."

Which is not to say the inspection is over. Far from it, in fact. Apple said in its update that the company would continue to work with law enforcement to "help identify the criminals involved," who are now being targeted by the FBI.

As previously reported, a representative for the Federal Bureau of Investigation told the Associated Press on Monday that the agency was "aware of the allegations concerning computer intrusions and the unlawful release of material involving high profile individual, and is addressing the matter."