Bachelorette Premiere Recap: Andi Dorfman-Obsessed Ex-Contestant Crashes Party, Chris Harrison Talks Eric Hill's Death
Crash and burn! Amid the usual meet-cute limo introductions and cocktail party chatter on the May 19 season 10 premiere of ABC's The Bachelorette was an unexpected (and very unwelcome) surprise (spoilers!)—in the form of a visit from former Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad star Chris Bukowski. Chris, who competed on Emily Maynard's season of the show back in 2012, had seen season 10 Bachelorette Andi Dorfman stand up to Juan Pablo Galavis on last season of The Bachelor, and decided he just had to meet her. To that end, he camped outside the Bachelor mansion for a week and attempted to crash Andi's party. But we'll get to that. Let's recap!
This season of the ABC reality show has already gotten a fair amount of press, in part because one of the contestants, Eric Hill, died in a paragliding accident shortly after filming. Fans have been wondering how producers would address or incorporate his death into filming, and there's an answer right up front, even before Andi makes her first appearance.
"In the coming weeks, you'll see that Eric was a vibrant man," Bachelor host Chris Harrison says in a prologue to the episode. "Every day, he impressed us with his passion and courageous spirit. He will be greatly missed. And we dedicate this season to him."
From there, we're reintroduced to Andi, the 27-year-old prosecutor from Atlanta, Ga., who endeared herself to Bachelor nation when she put Juan Pablo in his place after their disastrous overnight date in Saint Lucia. This time around, Andi will be the one handing out roses to potential suitors—and though she's sad to leave her job for several months, she's thrilled by the possibility of finding her "one true love" on national television. "Falling in love should be fun," she says.
Famous last words, Andi. Famous last words.
Once at the mansion, Andi's nerves start to kick in, so she calls on her sister to help her get ready for the big first night. "I'm about to meet 25 guys. Even though I'm so excited, there's a part of me that feels terrified to do it," she confesses. "I don't know what I did to deserve 25 men to want to fly across the country and meet me."
Speaking of which, it's time to meet the guys! They are, in order of appearance:
1. Marcus, 25, a sports medicine manager from Dallas, Tex., whom Andi deems "hot" as soon as he walks away
2. Chris, 32, a farmer from Arlington, Iowa
3. JJ, 30, a "pantsapreneur" from San Francisco, Calif.
4. Marquel, 26, a sponsorship salesman from Las Vegas, Nev.
5. Tasos, 30, a wedding event coordinator from Denver, Colo., who tries to recreate the "Lover's Bridge" tradition with a lock and key at the Bachelor mansion fountain
6. Cody, 28, a personal trainer from Chicago who makes a big show of pretending to push his limo up the driveway
7. Steven, 30, a snowboard product developer from Encinitas, Calif.
8. Rudie, 31, a fellow attorney from Long Beach, Calif., who tries to bond with her over lawyer humor
9. Carl, 30, a firefighter from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
10. Jason, 35, an urgent care physician from Sturgeon Bay, Wis., who uses his "special" doctor skills to diagnose Andi with a fever—because she looks "pretty hot"
11. Nick V., 33, a software developer from Chicago
12. Dylan, 26, an accountant from Boston
13. Patrick, 29, an advertising executive from Newport Beach, Calif., who plays soccer but assures her he's "nothing like the last guy [Juan Pablo] who played soccer"
14. Emil, 33, a helicopter pilot from Costa Mesa, Calif., who makes a memorable impression by telling her his name is pronounced "anal with an m"
15. Brett, 29, a hairstylist from Westminster, Pa, who brings Andi a lamp from his hotel
16. Craig, 29, a tax accountant from Denver, Colo.
17. Ron, 28, a beverage sales manager from Memphis, Tenn., who is originally from Israel and Barbados
18. Bradley, 32, an opera singer from Holland, Mich.
19. Josh B., 29, a telecommunication marketer from Denver, Colo.
20. Nick S., 27, a pro golfer from Kissimmee, Fla., who arrives in—what else?—a golf cart
21. Brian, 27, a basketball coach from Camp Hill, Pa.
22. Andrew, 30, a social media marketer from Culver City, Calif.
23. Mike, 29, a bartender from Alta, Utah
24. Eric, 31, an explorer from Citrus Heights, Calif., who brings two dolls he once got from a little girl who told him to give them to his girlfriend
25. Josh M., 29, a former pro baseball player from Atlanta, Ga.
One guy who isn't on the list but who desperately wants to be? The aforementioned Chris Bukowski, who makes his presence known mid-cocktail party by showing up in a suit and bringing with him a bouquet of red roses. "I want to meet her. And I brought flowers," he tells one of the producers. "[I just need] a couple minutes. I need to talk to Andi."
Chris Harrison takes the problem to the Bachelorette herself, who's been busy chatting up Josh M., eating cookies with Marquel, golfing with Nick S., learning French from Tasos, and living vicariously through Eric's global odyssey. "We have a party crasher," Chris tells her. "He's been on the show before. It's Chris Bukowski."
He then proceeds to ask Andi if she wants to let him in. She waffles a bit—who is she to turn down any man?—but ultimately she decides that it wouldn't be fair to the other guys to just invite some random crasher to join the party. "I can't do it. I can't do it to them," she says.
Chris B. is not pleased with her decision. "I can't give up like this," he laments when Chris H. returns to give him the bad news. "I seriously came out here—I've been out here for seven days on my own. I can't just walk away. I'm not leaving."
At this point, Chris H. get serious and tells him he has to leave. "The only thing that happens from here is it gets bad," he says, before Chris B. agrees to be escorted out by security—on the condition that Andi receives his flowers.
Meanwhile, back at the party, Andi is trying to decide which of the guys should get the coveted "first impression rose." In the end, she gives it to Nick V., whom she describes as "genuine" and "sincere." The other 24 men are understandably jealous, but as one of them notes, "I think we all realize that whoever gets it is gonna have a bulls eye on their back."
And on that note, it's time for the first rose ceremony of the season! Roses go to JJ, Eric, Marquel, Craig, Tasos, Josh M., Brian, Bradley, Marcus, Andrew, Ron, Carl, Chris, Dylan, Brett, Patrick, Cody, and Nick S. Josh B., for one, did not take the news of his rejection well. "This is stupid," he said angrily after the ceremony, snapping that he'd "embarrassed the f--k out of [himself]" for one night where he "did nothing" and "accomplished nothing." Tell Us how you really feel, man!