The movie about Michael Jackson's final months will run in theaters worldwide for only two weeks starting on Oct. 28, according to Sony Pictures.
The feature-length film -- titled This Is It -- will feature rehearsal footage from a planned series of London comeback concerts as well as videos from the "This Is It" shows shot in the days before the King of Pop's June 25 death. Tickets for the flick go on sale Sept. 27, Sony stated in a news release Thursday.
"Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, and genius as he creates and perfects his final show," Sony said. It will also offer select sequences in 3-D and feature interviews with some of Jackson's closest friends and creative collaborators.
Kenny Ortega, who was working with Jackson to create the "This Is It" concert, is also directing the documentary. "As we began assembling the footage for the motion picture, we realized we captured something extraordinary, unique and very special," Ortega said. "It's a very private, exclusive look into a creative genius' world." The late singer died three weeks before the planned debut of his limited-engagement tour, and Ortega said it "may go down as the greatest concert that no one got a chance to see."
He added: "But with this film, we get a rare portrait of Michael as he prepares for his final curtain call and what I believe was going to be his master work."
Sony began editing the film last week after concert promoter AEG Live handed over 100 hours of video it shot from April through June. A final cut of the film must be screened for representatives of his estate no later than Oct. 2, must be rated PG and cannot include material that "presents Michael Jackson in a negative light," according to the contract approved by L.A. Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff earlier this month. The initial release date was set for October 30, but Sony said it decided the "special, limited, two-week engagement worldwide" would be moved up two days.