New year, new recipe! Winter Olympic hopeful Ashley Wagner put down her ice skates and broke out her pots and pans to show Us Weekly a recipe that she calls her “post-workout protein bowl.” The dish – which calls for avocados, quinoa and grilled chicken – is the perfect meal to kick off a healthy lifestyle in the new year. Watch the video to see how to make it, and for the full recipe, see below.
“This is an end-of-the-day, messy bun, sweatpants [on], I’m exhausted kind of a meal,” the bronze medal figure skater, 26, told Us. “At the end of the day when I am fried, I have done a lot of training, I just want to come home, watch Netflix and eat dinner. This is my go-to. It’s so simple and delicious.”
The athlete knows a thing or two about planning ahead, and not just when it comes to training. She explains that this recipe can be prepped on a Monday night and will keep you going through the week. And if you don’t like an ingredient or two, feel free to mix it up.
“It’s really customizable. That makes it fun for me. I can mix it up without getting bored of the recipe,” the California native said. “You can trade out the quinoa for rice, or the broccoli for kale. It has all the nutrients I need as an athlete.”
Though she’s a bit too busy training to have a boyfriend right now, she revealed to Us who her dream dinner date would be. “This is a definitely a single girl’s meal, but if I had Liam Hemsworth over, I think he’d like this. You’ve gotta stay lean, mean, protein!”
Check out Wagner’s full recipe below and see it in action in the video above.
To learn more about Wagner and Team USA, visit teamusa.org. The Winter Olympics begin February 8.
Quinoa Chicken Broccoli Bowls With Sweet Potato Patty Cakes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, boiled and halved
- 1 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed off and drained
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked per box instructions, plus 1 cup quinoa, cooked for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 cups of broccoli, raw, cut into florets
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 tablespoons Dijonnaise
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes and chickpeas. Mash with a fork. Add in quinoa and garlic. Mix and mash together until you have an even consistency.
- Take 2 tablespoons of sweet potato mixture at a time and shape into a 1 1/2-inch patties.
- Place patties onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Once baking sheet is full, place in oven for 20 minutes, flipping once, halfway through.
- While the patties are baking, prep your serving bowl.
- To serving bowl, add one serving of quinoa, a couple pieces of broccoli, and one serving of chicken. Top with 2 or 3 warm sweet potato cakes. Top with avocado. Serve with a side of Dijonnaise sauce.