Colorado mother of three Lindsey McIver debated whether or not to share her terrifying story. “First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming,” McIver began in a Facebook post published earlier this month. “And second, because it’s just really hard to re-live.” But in the end, the former nurse decided she had an obligation to warn other parents about the dangers that front load washer and dryers pose to children.
The nightmare began early on the morning of July 10, when McIver was woken up by her hysterical 4-year-old son. He was crying and panicked. “As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs,” she wrote. “It was then that the realization hit. He had said: ‘Kloe. Inside. Washer.’”
When McIver reached the laundry room in the basement, their LG front-loading washing machine was tumbling and filling with water. “She was screaming but you couldn’t hear her,” McIver revealed. Luckily, the couple were able to unlock the door. And the little girl was unscathed minus “a couple of small bumps on her head and wet clothes.”
In her post, the mom of of three included a picture of the washing machine after it was secured with a child safety lock. “We also found a child lock feature on the settings, that as long as it is engaged, will not allow the washing machine to start,” she explained. “But it does not lock the door.”
Taryn Brucia, Director of Public Relations for LG Electronics, told Us Weekly statement: “We applaud Ms. McIver for telling her story and share in her efforts to make sure that consumers are aware of the child safety lock feature available on LG washing machine and dryers. We encourage people to use this important safety setting and to contact our customer support team if they need assistance.”
More than 2,000 kids a year are seriously injured — and some die — “after reaching, climbing or falling into washers and dryers or toppling down from them,” according to Consumer Reporters.