Caitlyn Jenner's tragic car crash case has been handed over to the district attorney's office from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, to allow the DA to determine whether to bring manslaughter charges or not, the Los Angeles Times reports.
As Us Weekly reported previously, Jenner was involved in a fatal car crash on Feb. 7, when the Cadillac Escalade she was driving crashed into the Lexus in front, sending that car into the path of an oncoming Hummer, and ultimately leading to the death of the driver Kim Howe.
The Sheriff’s Department's Detective Richard Curry told the L.A. Times last week that while Jenner was driving under the speed limit for the road, he was driving at unsafe speeds for the conditions at the time.
And on Tuesday, Aug. 25, detectives presented all their case findings to the DA prosecutors, who must now determine whether or not to charge Jenner, 65, with manslaughter.
Such a misdemeanor charge could carry a jail sentence of up to a year, though legal experts tell the Times Kim Kardashian's stepfather is unlikely to serve time behind bars.
Jenner described the crash as a "terrible accident" in a statement released to Us at the time of the incident. "My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident," the reality star said. "It is a devastating tragedy and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them. I will continue to cooperate in every way possible."
Legal experts anticipate a low level charge as no drugs or alcohol were involved. "Basically, anyone can get into this situation behind the wheel like Ms. Jenner. This is just unsafe driving,” attorney Dmitry Gorin, a former Los Angeles County prosecutor, told outlet.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!