Not backing down. Donald Trump sounded off to Us Weekly exclusively about the controversy surrounding his “racist” remarks on immigrants from Mexico, and stood by his words, refusing to apologize despite widespread public outcry.
“There is nothing to apologize for,” the presidential hopeful, 69, told Us. “Everything that I said is correct. People are flowing through the borders and we have no idea who they are, where they’re coming from. They’re not only coming from Mexico, they’re coming from all over South America and the world.”
The headline-making statement that Trump referenced took place at a kickoff event for his 2016 presidential campaign last week. “The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems,” he said at the time. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you… They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
Trump is now looking at serious backlash following the speech, which was called “racist” by many. The businessman serves as a part-owner for the Miss USA pageant, which is scheduled to take place on July 12, but is facing fallout in various forms on account of the controversy.
Representatives for Univision announced on Thursday, June 25, that the Spanish-language network is dropping the beauty pageant, and its lineup has continued to slim as more and more celebs chose to distance themselves from the event. Co-hosts Roselyn Sanchez and Cristian de la Fuente decided to drop out, as did scheduled musical performer J Balvin.
“We’ll get more people,” Trump told Us. “We have many people that want to do this. We’re just looking right now. We couldn’t care less about those two hosts backing out. I never even heard of them quite frankly.”
Of Univision Trump added, “They can’t back out. Pressure was put on them by the Mexican government, in my opinion. Because I’m running for President, and as you know I’m polling very well, second place, but I’m running for President and I bring up the trade with Mexico is a disaster and the borders are a disaster. They want me to be quiet and not talk about that because Mexico wants to continue to rip off the United States and I won’t allow that. That’s all this is. It’s disgraceful that Univision will be on the side of Mexico and not on the side of the United States.”
Many in the United States, including Ricky Martin, who slammed Trump on Thursday, are now threatening to boycott the pageant. While the Apprentice star touted Miss USA’s impressive ratings to Us and made note of the progress the show has seen in the 15 years since he took over, the numbers could be in danger if enough people choose to tune out.
“They can do whatever they want.” Trump told Us of those boycotting. “I couldn’t care less. All I’m doing is fighting for the United States. I’m not fighting for Mexico.”