Delicious and nutritious! Arrow star Katie Cassidy shares one of her go-to simple dinner recipes with Us Weekly: a lighter twist on the Italian classic chicken Parmesan.
"It's a quick and tasty meal that's a healthy take on one of my favorites," says the actress on the CW superhero show (Wednesdays, 8 p.m.), who is also the creator of the lifestyle blog Tomboy KC.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
1 egg white
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large pieces boneless skinless organic chicken
½ cup almond meal
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 package brown-rice fettuccine pasta
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and olive oil. Brush the mixture over the chicken breasts.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the almond meal, ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese and pepper to taste. Roll the chicken into the dry mixture until it’s completely coated.
3. In a pan over medium heat, gently fry the coated chicken breasts until they’re golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 2 minutes. Strain while the pasta is still slightly hard.
5. Mix the pasta with the tomato sauce and separate into two parts. Place the first part in a casserole dish and top with ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Layer the remaining pasta on top. Place the chicken on top and layer on the remaining ½ cup Parmesan and ½ cup mozzarella.
6. Bake until the cheese starts to slightly brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!