Delicious and nutritious! Arrow star Katie Cassidy shares one of her go-to simple dinner recipes with Us Weekly: a lighter twist on the Italian classic chicken Parmesan.
"It's a quick and tasty meal that's a healthy take on one of my favorites," says the actress on the CW superhero show (Wednesdays, 8 p.m.), who is also the creator of the lifestyle blog Tomboy KC.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
1 egg white
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large pieces boneless skinless organic chicken
½ cup almond meal
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 package brown-rice fettuccine pasta
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and olive oil. Brush the mixture over the chicken breasts.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the almond meal, ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese and pepper to taste. Roll the chicken into the dry mixture until it’s completely coated.
3. In a pan over medium heat, gently fry the coated chicken breasts until they’re golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 2 minutes. Strain while the pasta is still slightly hard.
5. Mix the pasta with the tomato sauce and separate into two parts. Place the first part in a casserole dish and top with ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Layer the remaining pasta on top. Place the chicken on top and layer on the remaining ½ cup Parmesan and ½ cup mozzarella.
6. Bake until the cheese starts to slightly brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!