Oscar De La Hoya is seeking help once again for a substance abuse problem. The retired boxer, 40, announced on Tuesday, Sept. 10, that he had returned to rehab and would miss this weekend’s big fight between Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, which he had been promoting through his company, Golden Boy Promotions.
“Canelo Alvarez and I have big fights coming up this weekend. His is in the ring and mine in treatment,” De La Hoya said in a statement. “I will not be at the fight to cheer Canelo to victory since I have voluntarily admitted myself to a treatment facility.”
He continued: “I explained this to Canelo, and he understood that my health and long-term recovery from my disease must come first. Thank you for your understanding. I ask for your support during this difficult time and for me and my family.”
The former 10-time world title winner — nicknamed The Golden Boy — did not specify the nature of his substance abuse but has admitted in the past to being an alcoholic and using cocaine. In a 2012 interview with Dr. Drew Pinsky, he confessed that he had started drinking when he was just 8 years old.
“I’ve been in there with the best fighters on the planet,” he told Dr. Drew. “I’ve been able to capture a gold medal and world title and this and that, but this is the toughest fight of my life, you know?”