1000W Thumper From Midnight Rambler
Midnight Rambler in Dallas, Texas, is owned by Chad Solomon and Christy Pope, who got their start at the acclaimed New York City bar Milk & Honey. The 1000W Thumper, which gets its name from the Texas nickname for watermelon, is a slightly more complicated drink that’s in a league of its own. “I created the drink in the summer of 2016 to be be a long refreshing panacea for the punishing triple-digit north Texas heat, and it has consistently been our most popular summer cocktail,” Solomon tells Us. “Mark Twain declared watermelon ‘chief of the world’s luxuries… when one has tasted it, he knows what angels eat.’”
• .75 oz fresh lime juice
• .5 oz Mineral Simple #4 (1 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup mineral water)
• 2 oz watermelon juice
• 1.5 oz Tanqueray Gin
• 1 dash Angostura bitters
• 2 drops Mineral Saline (1 tbsp kosher salt and 9 tbsps mineral water)
• 2 drops Electric Holy Basil (dehydrated basil infused with absinthe via sous vide)
1. Combine all ingredients and shake in a cocktail shaker.
2. Strain into a highball glass.
3. Top off with club soda and garnish with a watermelon spear.Back to top