Actress Mayim Bialik is at the cutting veg of entertaining. The Big Bang Theory star, who plays Amy Farrah Fowler on the hit CBS series, is sharing her recipe for vegan spanakopita with Us Weekly. The meatless Greek appetizer “is full of flavor, filling, and healthy,” the author of Mayim’s Vegan Table, 39, says. “It doesn’t crumble in your hands like other party foods.” Check out Bialik’s tasty recipe below!
1 cup raw almonds or walnuts
1 tbsp fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 12-oz box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 16-oz package whole wheat phyllo dough, thawed
Vegan tzatziki, ranch dressing, or duck sauce, for serving
1. Soak nuts in water at least 4 hours; drain.
2. In a blender, mix softened nuts, basil, rosemary, lemon juice, and salt until smooth but not creamy.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine nut mixture and spinach.
4. Cut phyllo into four strips per sheet and place on a baking sheet. Cover dough with a moist cloth while working to keep it fresh.
5. Place 1 tbsp of nut-spinach filling at the top of a strip of phyllo. Fold the corner of the phyllo over spinach mixture to form a triangle. Continue folding the strip like a flag, maintaining triangle shape, until the end. Brush phyllo edge with oil to seal the triangle. Repeat to make 24 triangles.
6. Place spanakopita on a large baking sheet and bake until edges start to brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with vegan tzatziki, ranch dressing, or duck sauce. Serves 8.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics, and more delivered straight to your inbox!