Bill Cosby Won’t “Dignify” Rape Allegations With a Comment, Lawyer Says

Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby's lawyer explained why the comedian is refusing to comment on the rape allegations that have resurfaced against him  NBC NewsWire via Getty Images

Bill Cosby is staying mum on the rape allegations against him. After the comedian refused to engage with NPR host Scott Simon on the topic this past Saturday, Nov. 15, his lawyer issued a statement explaining Cosby's silence.

"Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced," John P. Schmitt said in the statement, which was posted to the Cosby Show star's website on Nov. 16. "The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment."

The statement continued: "He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives."

The allegations against the star are not new, but they got new attention recently when Hannibal Buress blasted Cosby in a stand-up routine last month. That was followed on Nov. 13 by a Washington Post op-ed from one of his alleged victims, Barbara Bowman, whose startling claims likely prompted Scott Simon to bring up the topic one day later.

"This question gives me no pleasure, Mr. Cosby, but there have been serious allegations raised about you in recent days," Simon began. "You're shaking your head no. I'm in the news business. I have to ask the question. Do you have any response to those charges?"

When Cosby stayed silent, Simon continued, "There are people who love you who might like to hear from you about this. I want to give you the chance."

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!