Real Life Barbie Valeria Lukyanova has met her match in the form of Human Ken doll Justin Jedlica. Days after GQ magazine ran an interview with Ukranian mode Lukyanova, the Daily Beast answered with a profile of her male counterpart, Jedlica.
The 32-year-old man from New York was first dubbed “The Human Ken Doll” in an October 2012 20/20 segment on extreme plastic surgery. In his latest interview, he spoke about his contentious relationship with Lukyanova, his extensive surgery history and the one thing he doesn’t have in common with the famous Mattel man.
Below, five things to know about the plastic surgery enthusiast.
1. He is not anatomically matched to Ken. While Ken had his trademark lack of genitals, a photo circulated this week that shows Jedlica in a close-fitting swimsuit, revealing a bulge. “I have all these haters on my page being like, ‘Does that mean you want to cut off your penis?’” he told the Daily Beast. “I’m like, ‘actually, I wish it was dragging on the ground like anime.'”
2. He has spent a whopping $170,000 on plastic surgery. Jedlica underwent his first surgery at the age of 18, going on to have a total of 149 procedures. “Three days after my 18th birthday I went in and did my first nose job, which is something I wanted from a really young age,” he said in the interview. “For me, that was something I needed to fix… I’ve had 149 cosmetic procedures — which is different than surgeries. I’ve probably had 19 actual full-on surgeries; even in those 19 surgeries I’ve had some combos where there have been several areas worked on.”
3. He is a gay, married man. Human Ken had a civil union ceremony to his partner in July, whom he has been with for five years. Jedlica says his husband is in support of his body alteration, explaining, “He tells me that my plastic surgery turns him on… he doesn’t have any qualms with it. It was something we talked about even before we got married, because I was like, ‘We’re not going to get married if you’re going to give me shit about my surgeries!’ He was like, ‘Oh, I know that’s part of you, it’s totally fine.’ He’s not opposed to having work done either. It really was a moot point; it wasn’t an issue at all. I think he thinks it’s kind of cool.”
4. He and Real Life Barbie are not a good match. “Valeria has been my arch nemesis ever since we met each other earlier this year,” Jedlica told the Daily Mail in November. He went on to add to the Daily Beast, “She’s interesting. I hate that people compare us, because she’s putting on the illusion of a mannequin. It is a little bit weird that she’s trying to be stoic, emotionless.”
5. Ken hasn’t been the main inspiration for his surgeries. Jedlica said in his Daily Beast interview that his main inspiration comes from Japanese anime manga, and added that he also took inspiration from Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers. “I don’t even know if I look like a Ken Doll, but if other people want to say I do, it’s flattering,” he said. “As a kid, you play with Ken dolls and kind of assume that is what a handsome guy is supposed to look like.”