Don't blame it on the sizzurp? Lil Wayne opened up about his recent health scare in an interview with Los Angeles radio station Power 106 on Thursday, March 28, and the rapper explained that the reason behind his multiple seizures is, in fact, epilepsy.
"The bad news is I'm an epileptic, I'm prone to seizures," he said in his first interview since being released from the hospital earlier this month. "Like, this isn't my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I've had a bunch of seizures, y'all just never hear about them."
"But this time it got real bad 'cause I had three of them in a row and on the third one, my heart rate went down to like 30 percent," he continued. "Basically, I could've died, so that is why it was so serious. But the reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself."
Wayne, 30, was rushed to the hospital and released on March 12 after suffering multiple seizures, but was readmitted one day later after his bodyguards found him unconscious shortly after leaving the hospital.
The Young Money boss gave fans a scare after rumors about his condition began to surface, including reports that he was in a coma and had been read his last rites. Several of Lil Wayne's A-list pals — including Nicki Minaj, Drake and mentor Bird Man — even visited him at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, adding fuel to the rumors about his dire condition.
At the time, insiders close to the rapper credited his hospital stay to sizzurp. "He drank too much sizzurp to get a better high," one source said of the drug, an addictive narcotic concoction of prescription-strength cough syrup, sugary sodas and hard candies.
Since leaving the hospital, Lil Wayne has released his latest album, I Am Not a Human Being II, on Tuesday, March 26, and plans to continue on with plans for a 40-show tour starting this July.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!