In his third Olympics, Nathan Adrian has already racked up three medals — two bronze, one gold — and has one more race in Rio on Saturday, August 13, the 400-meter individual medley relay (which will be Michael Phelps’ last-ever race). Get to know Adrian outside of the pool with this list of 25 things you don’t know about him.
1. I graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in public health.
2. I grew up in the great state of Washington and am a proud Seahawks fan. #12s #GoHawks
3. I am one of three kids and am really close with my brother and sister. Our parents were adamant that we all take a water-safety course as kids to learn to swim.
4. All three of us ended up swimming in college (my brother at Washington, my sister at ASU).
5. I am a proud uncle. I have two nephews and a niece.
6. My dad was a nuclear engineer and my mom is a school nurse.
7. My mom grew up in Hong Kong, and her going to the Beijing Olympics to support me was the first time she had ever visited mainland China, which made it really special for me. I am proud of my heritage and I feel a strong connection to China.
8. I am very involved with the USA Swimming Foundation, which helps children learn how to swim for safety, fun and fitness.
9. When I need to unwind or get away from swimming, I love to go hiking.
10. Around the pool and training center, I’m usually in gym clothes … but I love getting dressed up. One of my favorite experiences was meeting Tommy Hilfiger and being part of the Men’s Collection unveiling following the 2012 Olympics.
11. I am a fantasy football fanatic!
12. My girlfriend recently got me into watching The Vampire Diaries, and I have seen every episode. #teamdamon
13. When I have time off, I try to go bodysurfing with friends.
14. I am a huge car enthusiast. I like driving my BMW X6; it fits my personality and lifestyle.
15. I ride my electric longboard to practice every day when it’s not raining.
16. I wake up very early to train, so I take a midmorning nap almost every day.
17. I eat really healthy, but when I don’t, I go for the deep-dish pizza!
18. I love the movie Kung Fu Panda.
19. My favorite TV show is Game of Thrones.
20. I am an early bird. I am done with one of two of my daily three-hour training sessions by 8 a.m.
21. Swimmers lift a lot of weights.
22. I listen to EDM and hip-hop when I am working out at the gym.
23. I eat six meals a day — plus snacks!
24. My family and about 10 of my really good friends have come to cheer me on at the Olympic Games.
25. I love Disney-Pixar movies.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on Youtube!