Prince Reportedly Overdosed on Percocet Days Before Death

Prince reportedly overdosed on Percocet, a pain killer, a few days before his death at age 57 on Thursday, April 21, TMZ claims.

According to the site, the icon needed and received a “save shot” from paramedics after his plane made an emergency landing at an airport in Moline, Illinois, on April 15, just one day after his final performance in Atlanta on April 14.

Prince performs during the halftime show at the Super Bowl XLI football game at Dolphin Stadium in Miami, Florida on February 4, 2007. AP Photo/Chris O'Meara

Prince’s rep told Us Weekly at the time that the legendary singer was battling flu-like symptoms. As previously reported, Prince was treated at the hospital and released three hours later.

TMZ reports that the seven-time Grammy winner was prescribed Percocet following a 2010 hip surgery. The site also obtained photos of the singer-songwriter at Walgreens on Wednesday just hours before he died.

Prince’s autopsy was completed on Friday, April 22. According to the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, a cause of death is still pending, and “gathering the results will take several days and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks.”

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!