Setting records straight. Prince’s lawyer, L. Londell McMillan, who had known the “Purple Rain” singer for 25 years and at one time was his manager, has revealed that the star’s death was a shock, and says his friend lived a clean and healthy lifestyle.
Talking via telephone to the Associated Press, McMillan insisted there were no issues with drugs in the late legend’s life, and as far as anybody close to him knew, was perfectly healthy.
McMillan spoke to Prince on the Sunday before he died, after it was reported that his plane had made an emergency landing to take the singer to hospital.
“He said he was doing perfect,” McMillan told the outlet. “He said ‘OK, I’ll call you soon.'”
McMillan refuted claims that Prince’s emergency landing was due to a drug overdose, prescription or otherwise, insisting the singer was “not on any drugs that would be any cause for concern.”
“People use medication. The question is, are you on meds in a dangerous way?” he explained, noting that Prince was a vegan, well known for his clean lifestyle.
“Everybody who knows Prince knows he wasn’t walking around drugged up,” McMillan said. “That’s foolish. No one ever saw Prince and said, ‘He looks high.’ It wasn’t what he was about.”
McMillan added that the last time he spoke to the iconic performer, not only did he appear healthy, he was also happy. “Prince had an amazing life. He enjoyed life, he had a lot of fun,” he said. “I’m shocked and overwhelmed,” he continued, adding that the memorial service held at Paisley Park on Saturday, April 23 was “very loving and special, solemn and very appreciative. I think he would have been proud of how we celebrated his life.”
Prince was found dead at his Paisley Park studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota, on Thursday, April 21.
Sign up for Us Weekly's free, daily newsletter and never miss breaking news or exclusive stories about your favorite celebrities, TV shows and more!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!