The NFL may be done with Ray Rice, but Ray Rice isn't done with the NFL. Multiple outlets reported on Sunday, Sept. 14, that the embattled former Baltimore Ravens player plans to appeal the league's decision to indefinitely suspend him following the recent release of footage showing him punching his then-fiancee Janay Palmer in an elevator last February.
ESPN, NBC Sports, and NFL.com cited sources saying that Rice would appeal the decision on Monday via the NFL Players Association. According to NBC Sports, Rice is expected to argue that he told the truth about the incident in Atlantic City. NFL.com's story, meanwhile, says the union will build a case on the claim that the athlete was "punished twice for the same offense."
(After the elevator incident first came to light earlier this year, the NFL announced that Rice would be suspended for two games under the personal conduct policy. Earlier this month, however, new surveillance tape from inside the elevator was posted by TMZ, leading to his indefinite suspension from the league.)
Rice's case has been a controversial one from the start. Even prior to the release of the footage, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell drew criticism for his handling of the situation. "I didn't get it right," he admitted in a letter to team owners this summer. "Simply put, we have to do better. And we will."
ESPN reports that Rice must file his appeal by 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!