She’s on the mend now. The Voice alum Meghan Linsey took to Instagram to document a venomous spider bite that left a hole in her face.
The 31-year-old country star, who was bitten by a brown recluse spider, began documenting her experience back in February. “It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US,” Linsey wrote in a lengthy Instagram caption on February 21. “I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain. I know I’m not out of the woods on this yet, but I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again.”
I know I've been MIA on social media for a while, so I wanted to fill you all in on what's going on. These pics are hard to share, but I think it's important for me to be open with you guys. Everything isn't perfect all of the time. We all go through hard stuff. So, 9 days ago, on February 12, I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list. The stinging was awful and I knew it had to be poisonous. I put the spider in a bag and headed to urgent care. Over the course of the last 9 days, I have experienced the most insane symptoms. From excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling… etc. It has really been rough. It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US. I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain. I know I'm not out of the woods on this yet, but I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. I will be getting back in the studio this week, to work on the new record! I can't wait to finish it. And I can't wait to get back on the road on March 9 & 10- I will be playing in Alaska! And PLEASE, if you live in area where these spiders are, do some research and learn how to protect yourself! I know this is not common at all, but better safe than sorry! Love you all! Xo Meg
The “Exes and Friends” singer’s post was accompanied by a collage of photos showing her swollen face, close-up shots of the healing wound and a picture of the spider itself. According to Linsey — who was runner-up on season 8 of The Voice in 2015 — she woke up one morning at her home in Nashville, Tennessee, and found the dying spider in her hand.
Linsey told her Instagram followers that she knew she must have been bitten when she started to experience some of the symptoms associated with a brown recluse bite, including, “excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling… etc,” and an open sore that she later described as “a hole on [her] face.”
On March 15, Linsey revealed that the “dead tissue” on her face had disappeared and said that she was optimistic about making a full recovery. “32 days since my brown recluse spider bite,” she wrote on Instagram. “I cannot believe how well my face is healing! It’s crazy!”
On Friday, April 14, Linsey thanked her followers for all the good vibes they’ve sent her way throughout this tough time. “Thank you everyone for all the love and support you’ve shown me during these difficult months,” she wrote.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!