When it comes to cute summer hairstyles, most people go for a ponytail or bun to get their hair off their neck. Other than those two 'dos, your options are limited, since wearing your hair down when it’s hot or humid is just asking for a frizz-fest, unless of course you're spending the day in an air-conditioned place. But at the Kimchi Chronicles launch party in NYC on Wednesday night, Heather Graham sported a surprisingly good hot weather-style that we can't wait to try.
Clad in a gold Donna Karan dress and matching platforms, the 41-year-old blonde fashioned the majority of her hair into a 'do that’s best described as "tucked under." She let a few strands go in the front, which added a romantic touch. Most noticeable is that the back of her hair (which naturally falls below her shoulders) is off her neck, making it a comfortable and chic look for summer. At the party, Graham even told Us Weekly that her biggest hair woe is "frizziness" and she tames it by using Hamadi Beauty Healing Serum "every day."
We asked NYC-based hairstylist Timothy John of Timothy John's Salon how to recreate the style (which is best for medium to long hair) at home. So whether you have 45 minutes or just five, here's the step-by-steps for getting your own breezy undone updo.
1. Shampoo and condition your hair with a sulfate-free product. (Try L'Oreal Paris EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System, $6.99 each)
2. Apply a lotion (John recommends TIGI Bed Head Superstar, $17.99), and blow-dry your hair using a round brush.
3. Set your hair in large velcro or hot rollers.
4. Emulsify a bit of texturizer in your hands and distribute evenly throughout your hair. (Try Bumble and bumble Texture Hair (Un) Dressing Creme, $26)
5. Bring your hair to the back using both hands, while keeping the front tendrils out.
6. Begin rolling the ends under towards the nape of your neck and secure with bobby pins.
7. Lightly pull sections without releasing the hair from the pins. This will create the slightly tousled effect.
8. Finish with a light dusting of hairspray (John recommends TIGI S-Factor Hairspray, $32.49).
1. Loosely pull your hair to the back as if you're creating a low ponytail.
2. Roll your hair under and secure it with bobby pins.
3. Lightly tug at it to achieve the tousled look.
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!