Heading back to school this fall? Don't just think about getting your wardrobe to look A-list — your home away from home has to be hot, too!
1. Don't be afraid to add color: If you're able to paint your space, Bromstad suggests picking some of fall's hottest hues, including green, yellow and purple. Afraid to try something new? "A really nice bold red with a little bit of orange always works. Red is timeless," says our expert.
2. Invest in good bedding: When you're not in class or partying with pals, you want a nice place to hang your head…and show off your personal style! "Bedding is important because you're sharing a room with your roommate and you want to make sure your own style is reflected," Bromstad says. "You can definitely get something bold and comfortable for under $100."
3. Think outside the box: Bored with the standard-issue dorm furniture? Make it your own! "I made over a dorm room on the Oprah Winfrey Show and when it came to the wardrobe, I went to IKEA and got a really bold fabric to cover it," Bromstad says. And no hammer and nails required for this redo: Just use double-sided tape, like 3M, to make the fabric stick.
4. Always remember art: Forget tacky posters to dress up blank walls. Bromstad suggests making your own art by framing a fabric swatch. "I bought a $10, 24×36 frame and took the pattern of fabric from the dresser and repeated it there, making a piece of art for very little cash," he tells Us.
5. Add a rug: "Rugs are a missing item in dorm rooms," says Bromstad. "They're a big opportunity to add boldness and a graphic quality to the space. Rugs make the room feel more cozy and they're not permanent [if you change your mind.]"
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!