New season, new hue! If you're dying for a drastic hair change, look no further. Whether going lighter like Drew Barrymore or darker like Natalie Portman, Us Weekly's expert Hollywood hair pro, Kyle White, will help you do it right.
IF YOU WANT TO GO LIGHTER . . .
1. Enlist a pro: Don't try this at home! Bleaches and ammonias require a trained hand. One time-tested trick from NYC colorist White (Mariah Carey is a client): Ask a stylist to mix five drops of rosewater into the dye. Rose oils moisturize the scalp, says White, "to help prevent dryness and breakage."
2. Ward off the sun: Without much melanin to protect it, hair can be bleached by rays, leading to an unnatural-looking platinum shade. White recommends dousing shampooed locks with an SPF treatment. The Kiehl's spray has apricot oil to lock in shine. ($25, kiehls.com)
3. Seal the deal: Much like the sun, heated irons and dryers can be dangerous — White says tools can turn blonde shades ashy at twice the rate of oxidation. His advice: Spritz a thermal protectant, such as It's a 10, on wet hair. "It acts as a barrier between hair and metal plates." ($18, walgreens.com)
IF YOU WANT TO GO DARKER . . .
1. Do it yourself: Vegetable and semipermanent dyes (like Garnier's botanical oil-infused Olia kit) get the job done without ammonia. Plus, they're easy to reverse! Before applying, White suggests coating the hair-line and tips of ears with Vaseline "to protect them from staining or stinging." ($10, drugstores)
2. Customize color: If the shade is too extreme, use Paul Mitchell's clarifying shampoo within 24 hours ($8.50, paulmitchell.com). "It contains detergents and sulfates with high pH levels that can lighten color up to two hues," says White. (Note: This works with permanent dye too.) Follow with a deep-conditioning mask.
3. Add shine: Once a week, slick on a three-minute clear gloss during a shower. Oscar Blandi's olive oil-packed glaze, promises White, "deposits color polymers and seals the outer layer of hair, helping it reflect more light." ($27, oscarblandi.com)
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!