Buckwheat and whole-grain and hummus, oh my! Carrie Underwood and many other celebrities may sing the (healthy) praises of a plant-based diet, but who knew it could taste this amazing? Pure Bar founder Veronica Bosgraaf shares some of her yummy and super simple recipes with Us Weekly. Get ready to glow like your favorite famous herbivores!
Warm Blueberry Buckwheat With Hazelnuts
1 cup whole-grain buckwheat cereal
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed)
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup almond milk
1. In a medium saucepan on high, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the buckwheat, salt, and nutmeg. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the buckwheat is soft, about 10 minutes. Drain excess water.
2. Spoon the buckwheat into serving bowls. Stir in the honey, blueberries, and hazelnuts. Pour the almond milk on top. SERVES 4-6.
Hummus Pizza With Arugula and Wild Mushrooms
2 12-inch organic whole-wheat pizza crusts (such as Rustic Crust)
2 tbsp grape-seed oil
4 cups sliced mixed wild mushrooms
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup hummus
3/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
2 cups loosely packed baby arugula
1. Bake the crusts in the oven according to the package instructions.
2. For the toppings, heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until golden, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan form the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Assemble the pizzas by spreading the hummus over the crusts and arranging the mushrooms, tomatoes, and arugula on top. SERVES 4
Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!