You might remember pigtail braids as the defining look of your childhood, but if Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Kylie Jenner are any indication, they’re about to resurge as an adult ‘do — and it might be the best thing ever.
“Braids are a chic lazy-girl hairstyle!” Matrix SoColor celebrity stylist George Papanikolas tells Us Weekly about the Kardashian-Jenner sisters’ latest obsession. “[This type of hairdo] works best on damp, towel-dried hair.” That’s right — no blow dry required.
Once you plait your pigtails, you can leave them in for a few days, and they’ll stay out of your way as you go about your day, no matter if you’re doing an aggressive workout, combating wind or rain, or running around after a little kid (like North West or Saint).
In a December 17 livestream via her app, the Selfish author said that she actually planned to keep her hair braided for “months” to “let it grow” and to avoid “putting heat on it.”
To achieve the same look as Kim, Khloe and Kylie, Papanikolas broke it down in seven easy steps:
1. Towel-dry your hair after a shower and use a leave-in conditioner (he suggests Matrix Hydrasource Conditioning Balm) to detangle and lock in moisture.
2. Using a tail comb, part hair down the center from crown to nape and secure one section with an elastic to keep it out of the way.
3. Apply a de-frizzing serum or cream (like Matrix StyleLink Smooth Setter Smoothing Cream) to tame fly-aways.
4. Add a quarter-sized amount of gel from roots to tips to keep strands in place, then use a boar bristle brush to smooth them out.
5. Begin one side’s braid by taking a small portion of the front of your hair and dividing into three equal parts. (Note: If you want your braid to “pop out” in the Dutch style like Kim’s look, Papanikolas says to braid “underhand,” placing sections beneath each other. If the traditional French style like Kylie’s is more your thing, braid “overhand,” weaving sections over each other all the way down.)
6. As you cross one section over, grab more hair to include in the plait, continuing down the length of your tresses.
7. Secure the end with an elastic, and repeat the same steps on the other side.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!