5 Things You Didn't Know About William's Pal Guy Pelly
So just who is Guy Pelly, the close friend of both Prince William and Prince Harry? Us Weekly uncovers some need-to-know info about the 29-year-old hotel and night club entrepreneur!
1. He's been labeled as a "bad influence" on the princes. For almost twenty years, Pelly has been a close friend and confidant of the royals. British tabloids have consistently pegged Pelly as the prince's playboy pal who encourages the brothers to drink heavily and party. According to the Daily Mail, it was Pelly who first introduced Prince Harry to marijuana in 2002. He was also with Prince Harry in 2005 when the young royal dressed as a Nazi soldier for a costume party.
2. He's got royal blood, too. Pelly might not be an official prince, but his ancestry can be traced to the Earl of Pembroke, the NY Times reports. His mother, Lady Carolyn Herbert, was a former girlfriend of Prince Andrew as well as a close friend to the late Princess Diana.
3. He's a nightclub entrepreneur. Pelly worked as a bartender during his time in college. At the age of 25, he became a partner in London's illustrious Mahiki club, a favorite hot spot of Prince William and Harry. In 2010, Pelly opened Public, a swanky nightclub in London's Chelsea neighborhood.
4. He threw Prince William's "stag" party. Prince Harry might be the Man of Honor, but Pelly was in charge of throwing the royal's bachelor party in March. About 20 guys celebrated at a friend's country estate for the weekend, including Thomas van Straubenzee and James Meade.
5. He's fiercely loyal. In 2007, tabloid reporters drew Pelly in for a business meeting under the guise of doing investing in his nightclub. Pelly met the "executives" in Las Vegas, Nevada, but became suspicious when they began asking him questions about his relationship with Prince William and Harry and details about the royal family. According to the Daily Mail, he saw a wire peeping out of a briefcase and was shocked to learn he was part of a sting.
Commemorate Will & Kate's big day with our Us Collectors Edition: Royal Wedding with all the photos, anecdotes and details of the wedding. Available for pre-order now and on sale May 6.