Andrew Garfield Backed Out of Batkid Segment at Oscars: Report
Update: Now this sounds more like the Spidey we know and love. After Andrew Garfield's planned segment with Batkid Miles Scott was cut from the Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2, the actor joined Miles and his family for a trip to Disneyland. Read more here.
Previously: According to a new report from The New York Post's Page Six, Andrew Garfield was supposed to present at the Oscars with Miles Scott -- a.k.a. Batkid, the 5-year-old boy with cancer who played superhero in San Francisco -- but backed out of the segment when he didn't like his lines.
"The Academy was going to make [Miles] an official superhero during the Oscar ceremony," a source told Page Six, noting that it had been coordinated with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which also helped facilitate the little boy's dreams of being Batman. "Andrew Garfield was going to appoint him 'Batkid,'" the insider continued. "But, in the middle of the dress rehearsal, Garfield decided he didn't like his lines."
The source went on to say that the Spider-Man star "refused to go by the script" and instead came up with his own lines, which producers didn't go for. "Garfield...stormed off," the source told Page Six, adding that Miles and his family "were devastated."
The Hollywood Reporter, meanwhile, paints a less dramatic picture of what went down. "Basically, because of the fluid nature of live TV production, ultimately the segment didn't work," an Academy spokesperson told the site.
In the end, the bit was cut completely. Producers reportedly paid for Miles to go to Disneyland instead, and brought in Captain America star Chris Evans to present in Garfield's place.
"He got the call pretty much the day of that he'd have to go on," a source told Us Weekly of Evans. "Chris hadn't been planning on even going to the Oscars."
A rep for Garfield did not respond to Page Six's request for comment.