Ice Cube Clarifies Paul Walker MTV Movie Awards Comments: "I Was a Fan Too"

Celebrity News Apr. 14, 2014 AT 8:35PM
UPDATED Apr. 15, 2014 AT 12:25PM
Ice Cube and Paul Walker Ice Cube vents his frustration over losing the Best Onscreen Duo award to Paul Walker and Vin Diesel at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards. Credit: Jason Kempin/WireImage; Inset: Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Images

The Ice is thawing. Ice Cube, who vented his frustration over losing to late actor Paul Walker and Vin Diesel of Fast & Furious 6 at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in a Monday, April 14 interview, took to Twitter to clarify his comments.

"Re: The MTV Awards. I wasn't really mad we didn't win," Ice said. "So I would never diss the actors who won. Not even Paul Walker. Seriously people!" He then continued in an extended Twitter rant, "Don't believe the hype."

PHOTOS: 2014 MTV Movie Awards

The controversy began when Ice Cube claimed the Best Onscreen Duo award only went to Walker, who died last November in a car crash, thanks to "sympathy" votes from fans. "We was robbed," Ice Cube told USA Today. "Shame on you MTV."

"We had the best chemistry of everybody nominated," Ice continued of his performance with Kevin Hart in Ride Along. "For us not to win was crazy. We were the best onscreen duo, period." Ice added in the interview that the award should have been given to Walker "before he passed away."

PHOTOS: Paul Walker's life in photos

Beyond Walker's posthumous win, Ice says he felt underwhelmed by the MTV Movie Awrads as a whole. "I just wasn't into it," he told the paper of the star-studded live telecast. "I have been going in and out of these things for 25 years. If you ain't into it, why torture yourself? As soon as you get bored, get up and leave."

In fact, Ice left the Nokia Theatre shortly after arriving -- long before the Movie Awards took a serious turn and paid tribute to Walker. Though he told USA Today that he had left to go watch his beloved Lakers, the real reason why Ice did not feel obligated to stay was because there was no point. "They told me our category wasn't gonna be televised. So I left," he tweeted Monday. "Just promoting that RIDE ALONG DVD."

PHOTOS: Stars we've lost in the last year

Further clarifying his outrageous comments via Twitter, Ice explained: "Re: The sympathy vote: We should honor people before they die. That's all. Shame on you 'make something out of nothing' ass reporters. Smh." He continued, "Ice Cube is not a sore loser. I was born losing. This winning s--t is what I gotta get use to."

The Friday After Next star added, "Last tweet and I'mma leave it alone. Remember this: A lie travels further than the truth. Damn the devil is busy."

With one real final tweet, Ice said, "And Paul Walker fans don't trip. I was a fan too."

comments powered by Disqus