Demi Lovato and Wilmer Valderrama shocked fans when they announced their decision to split after six years together via Instagram on Friday, June 3, but the pair noted that they “will always be supportive of one another.”
“After almost 6 loving and wonderful years together, we have decided to end our relationship,” the duo shared on their respective accounts. “This was an incredibly difficult decision for both of us, but we have realized more than anything that we are better as best friends.… Thank you to everyone who has offered us kindness and support over the years.”
The former couple, who met in 2010 after shooting a PSA for Voto Latino at Valderrama’s home, initially kept mum on their relationship, but as the years went by, both Lovato, 23, and Valderrama, 36, have openly praised their better half.
Below are some of the duo’s sweetest quotes about one another, in their own words.
1. “He’s very manly, and he can be stubborn like Latino men can, but he’s protective and he cares so much and loves so hard. I’ve been blessed enough to have him in my life, and not just as my man, but also my best friend.”
— Lovato, in Latina’s June/July 2016 issue
2. “Such a memorable night… You define timeless beauty, we have fun watching paint dry hahaha… So happy we could share this night together… Thank you for a perfect #DateNight #VFOscarParty
— Valderrama, captioning a photo of the pair at the Vanity Fair Oscar party in February 2016
3. “It must be EXHAUSTING to be that #Confident… This lil angel created an inspirational & emotional journey… Then she sprinkled bad ass dust on it! GO GET #ConfidentOniTunes! Oh and… Demi? #Payback hahaha.”
— Valderrama, captioning a snapshot of Lovato sleeping in October 2015
4. ”We started dating when I turned 18… Right after that, I went to rehab,” she continued. “People told him, ‘You should probably leave. She’s on a spiral, and you’re going to be sucked down with it.’ But he was like, ‘I’m not leaving. This is somebody I really care about.’ We relate on a lot of levels. I’ve seen a lot of s–t. S–t people don’t know about. He’s seen a lot of stuff too.”
5. “We don’t share everything with the world. But we do feel comfortable to share a lot. With Wilmer and I and our relationship, he’s extremely supportive in everything that I do. He makes me feel confident and beautiful. And I’m just really, really grateful for him.”
— Lovato, to Us Weekly in August 2015
6. “He never takes credit for my sobriety, but I guarantee I wouldn’t be alive without him today.”
— Lovato, in a May 2015 interview with HuffPost Live
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!