Hillary Clinton Discharged From Hospital After Blood Clot Scare, Holds Hands With Daughter Chelsea

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (L) leaves New York Presbyterian Hospital with husband, Bill (TOP), and daughter, Chelsea (C), in New York, January 2, 2013.  REUTERS /JOSHUA LOTT /LANDOV

Get well soon, Madam Secretary!

Hillary Clinton has been laying low while she recovers from a potentially dangerous blood clot near her brain, but on Wednesday, Jan. 2, she emerged from New York-Presbyterian Columbia Hospital, smiling, with daughter Chelsea by her side and husband Bill close behind. The trio grinned as they exited the building, Chelsea hand-in-hand with her mother, but returned just 15 minutes later, according to the Daily News.

The appearance marked the first time the Secretary of State, 65, had been seen in public since Dec. 7, when she spoke at a news conference in Belfast. Shortly after that event, she fell ill with a stomach virus that led to her fainting of dehydration and suffering a concussion.

UPDATE: The Washington Post reported Wednesday that Clinton was discharged from the hospital after three days of treatment, the State Department said.

"Her medical team advised her that she is making good progress on all fronts, and they are confident she will make a full recovery," according to a statement released by Clinton aide Philippe Reines. "She's eager to get back to the office, and we will keep you updated on her schedule as it becomes clearer in the coming days."

On Dec. 15, the State Department released a statement saying that the former First Lady had been "recovering at home and [would] continue to be monitored regularly by her doctors." During one of her follow-up appointments, physicians discovered a clot behind her right ear, between her brain and skull. She was admitted to the hospital on Sunday, Dec. 30, but doctors said in a statement that there was no neurological damage.

"In all other aspects of her recovery, the secretary is making excellent progress and we are confident she will make a full recovery," they announced. "She is in good spirits, engaging with her doctors, her family, and her staff."

The State Department had no comment about where Clinton went on her brief leave of absence from the hospital, but earlier on Jan. 2, a spokesperson said that she had been "quite active" communicating with her staff by phone.

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!

Want stories like these delivered straight to your phone? Download the Us Weekly iPhone app now!