Douglas and Kilmer, 56, previously starred together in the 1996 thriller The Ghost and the Darkness.
“The picture didn’t turn out as well as I hoped but I had a wonderful time. Val was a wonderful guy who is dealing with exactly what I had, and things don’t look too good for him,” Douglas said during the chat. “My prayers are with him. That’s why you haven’t heard too much from Val lately.”
Douglas’ rep tells Us Weekly that the star was “under the assumption” that Kilmer was ill when he spoke with Ross. “Michael has not spoken to Val in well over a year so if he doesn’t have throat cancer, great,” his rep told Us in a statement on Monday. “Michael qualified in his interview that he hasn’t spoken with him in a long time and wished him the best.”
As previously reported, rumors circulated in January 2015 that Kilmer was recovering from throat tumor surgery. The Top Gun star denied the reports in a Facebook post, but alluded to another health scare.
“Thank you for all your sweet support. But I have not had a tumor, or a tumor operations, or any operation. I had a complication where the best way to receive care was to stay under the watchful eye of the UCLA ICU,” he wrote. “Friends have assisted who know my spiritual convictions and have been most sensitive and kind for the extra effort in making sure there’s minimum gossip and silly talk. I am praying for a speedy return to the boards as they say. God bless you all and please don’t worry. Love and deep affection, Val.”
His rep told Us that Kilmer was only “undergoing tests at a Los Angeles hospital for a possible tumor” at the time. “According to a family friend and spokesperson, the doctors are encouraged by his progress and are hopeful that Mr. Kilmer will make a full recovery.”
In October 2015, Kilmer again slammed rumors that he was admitted to the ICU at the UCLA Medical Center, days after RadarOnline reported that he was battling cancer and was wheelchair-bound.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!