“All things must end,” Fillion, 45, tweeted. “It has been an honor working with the men and women of Castle. I am truly amazed at what we’ve done. Thank you all.”
Fillion also sent a message to potential employers, writing, “Dear Every Director, It appears I have an opening in my schedule.” He followed it up with a plea to his fans: “Dear Fans, In whatever project I do next, loudly notice how unlike Castle and fresh and versatile I am. Thanks.”
His tweets come hot on the heels of costar Stana Katic’s own message to fans of the popular ABC series.
“Dear Castle fans, cast & crew,” she shared in her handwritten note. “Your devotion to our show has carried us for these unforgettable 8 seasons. I’m lucky to have met & worked with & for the lot of you. I will always be grateful. Big hug, Stana.”
ABC dropped the bombshell on Thursday, May 12, that it would be canceling Castle and country music drama Nashville, among other shows. Fans of the series reacted strongly on social media.
Just last month, it was announced that Katic, 38, would not be returning for the next season, and Us Weekly exclusively reported that the actress and Fillion actually butted heads behind the scenes for years.
“Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion completely despise each other,” an insider told Us. “They will not speak when they are off set, and this has been going on for seasons now.”
Both Katic, who plays NYPD Captain Kate Beckett, and Fillion, who plays titular character, novelist Richard Castle, joined the show in March 2009.
Their characters tied the knot in season six.
“Stana would go in her dressing room and cry,” another source told Us of the tension. “The friction was very evident. Nathan has been nasty to Stana for a long time. Stana was a pro, just wanted to get in there and do her job.”
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on Youtube!