The newly uncovered Hillary Clinton emails that sparked “investigative steps” into the Democratic presidential nominee’s private email server on Friday, October 28, reportedly came from an FBI investigation into disgraced politician Anthony Weiner’s sexting scandal.
Federal law enforcement officials told The New York Times that the emails in question were discovered after the FBI seized electronic devices belonging to Weiner, 52, and his wife — and top Clinton aide — Huma Abedin.
According to the Times, the FBI was looking into illicit text messages that Weiner had sent to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina when they stumbled upon the emails. (Abedin, 40, filed for divorce from Weiner in late August following his most recent sexting scandal.)
Earlier in the day Friday, FBI Director James B. Comey wrote in a letter to members of Congress that the agency is re-examining the former Secretary of State’s private email server to ascertain whether there was wrongdoing.
“In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation,” Comey wrote. “I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation.”
Comey added that the “FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant.”
Shortly after news broke about the investigation, Clinton’s adversary, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, praised the FBI and the DOJ for their actions.
“I have great respect for the fact that the FBI and the DOJ are now willing to have the courage to right the horrible mistake that they made,” he said during a campaign rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, to the crowd’s chants of “Lock her up! Lock her up!”
“This was a grave miscarriage of justice that the American people fully understand,” the 70-year-old real estate mogul continued. “It is everybody’s hope that it is about to be corrected.”
A rep for Clinton, 69, released a statement to Us with regards to the new investigation, saying, “Upon completing this investigation more than three months ago, FBI Director Comey declared no reasonable prosecutor would move forward with a case like this and added that it was not even a close call. In the months since, Donald Trump and his Republican allies have been baselessly second-guessing the FBI and, in both public and private, browbeating the career officials there to revisit their conclusion in a desperate attempt to harm Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.”
Added the rep: “The Director owes it to the American people to immediately provide the full details of what he is now examining. We are confident this will not produce any conclusions different from the one the FBI reached in July.”
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!