Picewell Forbes says he's sorry.
The Bahamian politician who provoked a judge to declare a mistrial in the $25 million John Travolta case offered his apologies in a brief press conference today, Eonline reports.
"My statements were reckless," Forbes told reporters, "and interfered with the course of justice in that case and were further capable of bringing disrepute to the whole administration of justice."
But Forbes isn't off the hook — and may still be held in contempt of court.
On Oct. 22, Picewell announced at a political rally — as the jury still deliberated — that a defendant in the Travolta trial had been found not guilty. This moved Senior Justice Anita Allen to declare a mistrial in the case against two individuals accused of attempting to extort $25 million from John Travolta. Paramedic Tarino Lightbourn and Pleasant Bridgewater allegedly demanded money in exchange for not leaking information about the seizure-death of Travolta's son, Jett, in January.
Forbes' next court appearance is later this week; a retrial is slated for early next year.
In their grief, John Travolta and wife Kelly Preston have slowly come out of hiding: Usmagazine.com reported their attendance — with friends Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise — at the 25th anniversary of the International Association of Scientologists in England Oct. 16.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on Youtube!