"If someone is passed out they're not even WITH you consciously!" Green, 40, initially wrote in since-deleted tweets. "So WITH implies consent… when someone brakes on a home there is broken glass where is your plausible proof anyone was raped… women who have really been raped REMEMBER!!!"
He added, "so if I TRIED but did NOT succeed but the person said I DID then what really happened?"
Fans immediately lashed out against Green for his remarks, even prompting an online petition from women's rights group UltraViolet. The campaign, which called on TBS and its umbrella company Time Warner to cancel The Good Life, received more than 30,000 signatures in less than three hours.
According to THR, TBS' decision to axe Green's show came after UltraViolet petitioned the network. "No matter how famous you are, rape is never ok," Shaunna Thomas, the cofounder of UltraViolet, said in a statement to Us Weekly.
"CeeLo Green publicized views that rape isn’t rape if a woman doesn’t remember — a false and dangerous claim. We urge CeeLo Green, Time Warner, and TBS to take this moment to donate to an organization helping survivors of rape, and are looking into whether any next steps are appropriate."
Green took to his Twitter on Monday, Sept. 1, to apologize about his controversial comments. "Let me 1st praise god for exoneration fairness & freedom! Secondly I sincerely apologize for my comments being taken so far out of context…" the singer wrote, according to Billboard. "I only intended on a healthy exchange to help heal those who love me from the pain I had already caused from this. Please forgive me as it… was your support that got me thru this to begin with. I'd never condone the harm of any women. Thank you."
His show cancellation comes after an eventful Labor Day weekend. The Grammy winner was sentenced to three years of probation Friday, Aug. 29, after pleading no contest to a felony count for furnishing ecstasy to a woman back in 2012.