How to Make Gail Simmons' Ginger Poached Pear Dessert
Gail's guilt-free treat!
When Top Chef: Seattle judge Gail Simmons wants to indulge, she whips up this Ginger Poached Pear dessert. "It's decadent and light," she tells Us Weekly of the treat, served with vanilla frozen yogurt.
Ginger Poached Pears With Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
3 cups port wine
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 slices peeled fresh ginger
1 lemon, halved
4 medium pears, ripe but firm
1 quart vanilla frozen yogurt
1/4 cup candied ginger, sliced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1. In medium saucepan, combine wine, water, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and fresh ginger. Squeeze in lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, cut off bottoms of pears with a paring knife. With an apple corer, remove cores. Peel pears, leaving stems intact.
3. Place pears in poaching liquid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow pears to cool in liquid; remove pears. Remove cinnamon.
4. Bring liquid back to a boil; reduce by half.
5. Serve each pear with a scoop of frozen yogurt and a ladleful of liquid. Garnish with candied ginger and slivered almonds.
Serves 4; 200 calories
Top Chef: Seattle airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. (EST) on Bravo.