John Travolta returned to the stands Wednesday morning in the Bahamas in the ongoing trial involving an alleged extortion plot after the death of his 16-year-old son Jett.
The actor, 56, told a court that former senator Pleasant Bridgewater and local paramedic Tarino Lightbourne demanded $25 million or they would sell stories to the news media suggesting he was at fault in Jett's death.
While he was never directly approached by Bridgewater or Lightbourne, Travolta said he learned that unless he handed over hush money, they would go to the press and "imply that the death of my son was intentional and I was culpable in some way," Travolta said. They planned to use a consent document that the actor initially signed refusing to have his son Jett sent to a local hospital.
Travolta testified last week that he signed the document because he initially wanted his son flown to Florida for treatment. But Jett, who had suffered a seizure at a family vacation home on Grand Bahama island, was taken instead to a local hospital, where he died on Jan. 2.
Lightbourne and Bridgewater have pleaded innocent.
The trial began Sept. 21 and is expected to last several weeks.