5 Tips for Dressing a Curvy Body Type
When a star lands on a best-dressed list, she usually has her stylist to thank. And as any fashion expert knows, being a stunner on the red carpet is more than just throwing on a gorgeous gown, especially for curvy celebs like Scarlett Johansson, Christina Hendricks or Kim Kardashian. Here, Rockport style ambassador and celebrity stylist Annabel Tollman tells Us Weekly her top five tips for flattering this sexy body shape. (She's also one of Us' 25 Most Stylish New Yorkers!)
1. If you are chesty, wear a good bra. Back away from the young girl with the tape measure! It's uber important to go and get properly fitted to find the right size. "My favorite strapless bra is the porcelain moulded strapless by Panache, which starts at a D cup and goes up to a J!" Tollman tells Us. "Bra sizes don't end at a DD, but that's the biggest that most chain stores will carry, so go to your local bra specialist boutique."
2. Make friends with your body. "If you're built like Jessica Rabbit then don't dress like Alexa Chung," instructs Tollman. While some cute tomboy styles look great on pencil-thin gals, the androgynous look tends to look ill-fitting on your curves.
3. Discover your waist. It's higher than you probably think! "The place where you are narrowest should be emphasized," advises Tollman. "Skip any fashion that bypasses your hourglass: trapeze tops, empire-line dresses and pieces with a lot of bulk are not your friends."
4. Don't dress sleazily. The curvier you are, the tartier high-hemlines, low-cut blouses and skin-tight numbers look. "Dressing should be a balance of conceal and reveal," Tollman says.
5. Find the right footwear. "I find that a classic pump with a platform (like the Rockport Janae Pump, $130 at rockport.com) makes your legs take a really great shape and elongates your entire body from head to toe," says Tollman.