7 Makeup Tips to Steal From Kim & Kourtney Kardashian
When we first heard that Kim and Kourtney Kardashian were filming a new reality show in New York City, we wondered if the sisters, who are known for sporting a smoky eye everywhere from the airport to the nail salon, would tone down their Hollywood-glam look while residing on the more understated east coast.
PHOTOS: Kourtney and Kim hit the Big Apple
But after watching the premiere of Kourtney & Kim Take New York on Sunday night, it appears that more is still more when it comes to their makeup...and we think that's a good thing since the girls looked pretty freaking fabulous (even at the gym!). Here, the Kardashians NYC makeup artist, Troy Surratt, reveals their secrets:
1. Play up all of your features. "The Kardashian sisters know the power of glam and aren't afraid to accentuate and capitalize on every feature," Surratt tells UsMagazine.com. That means paying attention to your eyes, cheeks and lips instead of just focusing on one of them.
2. Make friends with foundation. Many girls avoid foundation because they think it looks fake, says Surratt, but the right formula and technique will give your skin a flawless appearance. First, apply a lightweight gel-cream base like Dior DiorSkin Nude Natural Glow Crème-Gel ($48, sephora.com) with a foundation brush. Then, pat it into your skin with a makeup sponge.
3. Warm up your skin. When applying bronzer, create a triangle shape by blending it around your hairline (at the temples), on your cheekbones and down to your chin. "This draws all of the light to the center of your face," says Surratt who recommends Shiseido Oil-Free Bronzer ($35, nordstrom.com).
4. Enhance your bone structure. Smile and add a pop of pink blush to the fullest area of your cheek. Then, dab a shimmery highlighter over the blush as well as on your cheekbones to make them look more prominent. Surratt uses Dolce & Gabanna The Blush Luminous Cheek Colour in Provocative ($44, saksfifthavenue.com) with Mally Beauty in Life is Lighter ($40, mallybeauty.com).
5. Fake it. "False eyelashes are like beams of sunlight emitting from your eyes," says Surratt, who notes that Kim frequently wears them to make her eyes look big and bright. "Long, full lashes are flirtatious and feminine."
6. Soften smoky eyes. Ever wonder how the Kardashians manage to pull off a smoky eye in the afternoon? "I rim the inner and upper lash lines with Stila Kajal pencil in black, then I blend a rich brown eye shadow over the liner to make it warmer and softer," Surratt tells Us.
7. Line your lips. When you're doing a nude lip, you should always define your mouth first with a pencil, says Surratt. "Otherwise, your lips will disappear into your skin." He uses Kevyn Aucoin The Flesh Tone Lip Pencil ($24, kevynaucoindirect.com) topped with LipFusion Color Shine gloss ($38, sephora.com) on Kourtney and Kim.