How to Create an A-List Bachelor Pad -- On a Budget!
Michael Valles owns and operates three interior design showrooms in Southern California under the name Interior Illusions and one in the heart of trendy downtown Los Angeles, I Squared. Here, he offers tips on how to create the ultimate A-list bachelor pad on a budget.
As the designer of "The Ultimate Bachelor Pad" penthouse at the new W Residences in Hollywood and CEO of Interior Illusions, I have helped a variety of Hollywood celebrities (such as Zachary Quinto, Sharon Osbourne, and Emily Blunt) and executives create the best homes to fit their lifestyles.
One of my favorite types of celebrity clients are the Hollywood bachelors and bachelorettes! Privacy, location, aesthetics, entertainment, comfort and functionality are the must-haves in any given bachelor/bachelorette pad. I make sure to include all of these characteristics in my designs and they can be easily copied (on any budget!) to create your own "ultimate bachelor pad":
- Privacy: Buying different shades of curtains allows further privacy. Use black curtains for those sleepless nights and long hours of entertainment. When you finally decide to hit the sheets, black curtains allow for a good night sleep with minimal sunlight shining through in the early morning. Use sheer or beaded curtains when you want to let the light in, but also keep your privacy from those paparazzi! Since these curtains are transparent, they will enhance a sense of voyeurism.
- Location, location, location: Be sure your space is near a great nightlife scene and that you have access to restaurants, theaters, clubs and bars. It's important to have access to a variety of venues. I designed the "Ultimate Bachelor Pad" Suite at the new W Residences in Hollywood, which is right in the heart of the A-list nightlife scene! You don't even have to leave the grounds to eat at an amazing restaurant and hit L.A.'s hottest new club, Drai's.
- Appeal to ALL the senses: Make sure that your space is appealing to all senses. Focus on what you already have. Having a working fireplace definitely sets the mood, but you can also group together candles for a similar effect. If your pad has a great view, take advantage of it! Arrange your furniture in a way that takes in the scenery and promotes conversation. Using sleek and sexy surfaces -- like CaeserStone countertops and stainless steel tiles -- and a variety of textures adds visual interest to any space. You can also mix in glass, wood, shag carpet, faux fur and leather seating.
- Stay on Trend: Many of Hollywood's A-list ladies are also fashion hounds, so it's perfect to take your interior design cues from your fashion sensibility. Just like with clothes, invest in classics and wardrobe staples and keep your home style fresh with accessories in trendy shades. Also, be prepared to give your home seasonal updates by switching out linens, throw pillows and other easily interchangeable items.
- Entertain: Whether you are hosting a date night or a group of friends, you need to keep your guests entertained. Open concept living spaces are great for large groups! You will also want to consider a great home theater system with HDTV, BluRay and an amazing sound system. Always invest in the right pieces for your lifestyle. If having the latest gaming system is important to you, make sure you have a roomy space and ample seating to enjoy it with your friends.
- Storage: It isn't always at the top of everyone's list, but it should be! You need to have the right kind of storage for your lifestyle! A kitchen full of new cabinets wont do you much good if you only cook once a year -- unless of course, you don't mind keeping your shoes in the kitchen. Keep closets and bathrooms extra organized for a modern, clean look. Having your beauty and clothing items sorted and easily accessible will help you get ready faster when you are prepping for a night out on the Sunset Strip! And of course, don't forget about where you are going to store your mountain bike, beach cruiser, surfboard, yoga mat and all the other L.A. outdoor and exercise equipment that you'll need to stay in shape.
- Make your guests feel comfortable and welcomed: last but not least, always make sure your guests feel welcome. Your place will feel that much more inviting and warm if you add a rug to hardwood floors or by making sure you have comfortable couches with soft but firm throw pillows. This way, it allows your guest to lounge around and enjoy their stay. Don’t forget to have extra blankets and fresh towels on hand at all times -- you never know when you'll have an unexpected overnight guest!