Coroner: Amy Winehouse Died from Too Much Alcohol

Entertainment Oct. 26, 2011 AT 9:21AM
Coroner: Amy Winehouse Died from Too Much Alcohol Credit: INFphoto.com

The sudden July 23 passing of Amy Winehouse was ruled "death by misadventure" by British coroner Suzanne Greenaway on Wednesday. Just 27 at the time of her death, Winehouse died as a result of drinking too much alcohol, Greenaway said.

PHOTOS: Remembering Amy Winehouse

"She had consumed sufficient alcohol... and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death," Greenaway said. A pathologist reported that an autopsy performed on the "Rehab" singer revealed that her blood-alcohol level (416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood) was 4.5 times over the legal drunk-driving limit.

VIDEO: Amy's musical legacy

Winehouse's doctor, Dr. Christina Romete, said that the star "resumed drinking" in the days before her death after a long period of abstinence. She apparently relapsed just one day before her body was found.

PHOTOS: Stars who died at age 27

Her family -- parents Mitch and Janis and brother Alex -- were in attendance when the toxicology results were announced.

"This is closure of sorts but I don't think they are relying on this verdict," a family spokesman told London's Evening Standard. "They are a very close family and they know how Amy was in the days before her death. "As always they have been overwhelmed by messages of love and support and are looking forward to concentrating on the foundation so that something good can come out of this."

How we use your email
X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Us Weekly and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

comments powered by Disqus