Harry Styles Is Officially Going Solo and Surprisingly, No One Is Mad About It: Best Fan Reactions

Credit: JB Lacroix/WireImage

The time has come: Harry Styles is officially going solo. The One Direction star has signed a recording contract with Columbia Records, Billboard reported on Thursday, June 23, and surprisingly, no one is mad about it! 

According to Billboard, deal terms are not yet known and there’s no timeline for the release of the album.

Rumors that the Brit, 22, was going solo started last year, after four songs by Styles were registered with the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Taylor Swift’s ex-boyfriend also recently signed with former CAA exec Jeffrey Azoff’s Full Stop Management.

The move comes following former 1D member Zayn Malik’s March 2015 exit and the band’s yearlong hiatus, which was announced in August.

During an interview with Billboard, 1D founder Simon Cowell said he wasn’t sure of the group’s future after the release of their fifth studio album, Made in the A.M., in November 2015.

"I don't know if it's a hiatus or a breakup, to be honest. In a weird way, I don't want to know," Cowell, 56, said. "I don't think they've had enough time to experience what it's like not being in the group to really answer that.…Whenever I was with them, we talked about [going on a break], and I couldn't argue with them. They had achieved so much in a short period of time, and I didn't want them to get jaded.”

Regarding Styles’ solo career, Cowell encouraged it at the time, telling Billboard that Styles has “got great taste.”

“All the writers and producers want to work with him, understandably, but he probably won't rush into it,” he explained.

One Direction fans are equally as understanding when it comes to the news. See the shockingly accepting, rational reactions below:

Sign up now for the Us Weekly newsletter to get breaking celebrity news, hot pics and more delivered straight to your inbox!