Jenny McCarthy Wanted to Be The Bachelorette After Her Divorce, Was Rejected By ABC
Jenny McCarthy may be happily coupled up with Donnie Wahlberg now, but back in the day, she was single and ready to mingle. So ready, in fact, that she tried to get ABC to cast her as The Bachelorette -- to no avail, clearly.
McCarthy's View co-host Barbara Walters revealed her little secret on the Tuesday, Jan. 14, episode of their talk show. "In the interest of information, one of us, that one," Walters said, pointing at the 41-year-old blonde beauty, "you tried out to be a Bachelorette and you did not make it!"
"No one knows that!" McCarthy said, gasping. Then, by way of explanation, she added, "When I got a divorce, I was lonely. I needed to be loved." (The former Singled Out host was married to John Mallory Asher from 1999 to 2005.)
"I was single and I loved TV," she continued. "Put those together and I thought, 'Brilliant!'"
The actress went so far as to have her agent call ABC. "[My agent] said, 'She wants to be the new Bachelorette,'" McCarthy recalled on The View. "And they said, 'No, we're not using celebrities at this time. Sorry.' That was 10 years ago. So, pfft."
Regardless, things seem to have worked out just fine for the mother-of-one. She and New Kids on the Block singer Wahlberg, 44, have been dating since last year -- and they're seriously in love.
"I think he would be an amazing husband," McCarthy told Bethenny Frankel of the former boy bander. "So, if he does [propose], yeah, I would sure say yes. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one proposing!"