Ali Larter loves to celebrate the holidays in the kitchen with her family. The actress turned cookbook author shared one of her favorite festive recipes — apple crostata with Gouda — exclusively with Us Weekly.
“My mom always used to make down-under apple pie, which inspired this dressed-up recipe,” the Resident Evil actress, 39, said. “I love how the sharpness of the Gouda makes the sweet apples shine.”
Larter’s cookbook, Kitchen Revelry: A Year of Festive Menus From My Home to Yours, is out now. Find out how to make the sweet-but-savory holiday treat below!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp kosher salt
12 tbsp chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 to 4 apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
4 tbsp chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup coarsely grated, aged Gouda cheese
1. In a food processor, blend flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and pulse until the mixture is coarse. Add 3 tbsp ice water through the feed tube and blend until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by the teaspoon if the dough is dry. Chill dough in refrigerator 10 minutes.
2. Using floured hands or a rolling pin, form dough into a 12-inch disk on lightly floured parchment paper. Place dough on paper on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Chill.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and lemon zest. Stir in butter. Mound apple filling in the center of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.
2. Gently fold the dough border up over the apple filling, forming a rim and pleating the dough edge as needed. Pinch any cracks together. Sprinkle Gouda over filling.
3. Bake crostata until apples are tender and crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Run a sharp knife under the crostata to loosen it from paper. Carefully transfer to serving plate and cut into wedges. Serves 6 to 8.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on Youtube!