Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are suing a London tabloid for claiming that they were planning to split.
The couple's lawyer Keith Schillings tells BBC News that Pitt, 46, and Jolie, 34, have begun legal proceedings against the News of The World tabloid, which reported Jan. 24 that the two had agreed to divide their assets and made arrangements for the custody of their six children, Maddox, 8, Pax, 6, Zahara, 5, Shiloh, 3, and twins Vivienne and Knox, 18 months.
Schillings tells the BBC that the tabloid report contained "false and intrusive allegations" and that the paper failed to meet a demand for a retraction and apology for the article which was "widely republished by mainstream news outlets."
Schillings says Sorrell Trope, a Los Angeles divorce lawyer identified by some publications as advising the two, denied claims that he had been in contact with the couple. "I have had no contact from… Angelina Jolie and / or Brad Pitt," Trope said in a statement. "I have never met… your clients or had any involvement with either of them. The foregoing is true with respect to all other members of this firm."
A spokesperson for the News Of The World has yet to comment.
Pitt and Jolie, who are not married, packed on the PDA Sunday during an appearance at the Super Bowl in Miami. They took their eldest son, Maddox, to the big game.